Review Of The Schwinn 460 Variable Stride Elliptical Trainer
The Schwinn 460 Variable Stride Elliptical Trainer is a development in elliptical trainer technology that can not be overlooked by anyone in the market for one of these machines. The engineers at Schwinn have created a machine that is “outside of the box” and really needs to be explored in greater depth to understand why it’s a step forward in elliptical training technology.
Why is this machine different? Well, you don’t have to make any manual adjustments to vary your stride from 2-inches to 26-inces. This means that anyone in your family can use this exercise equipment without having to mess around changing any settings.
With elliptical trainers you have to experiment with different stride lengths to find what is right for you. The Schwinn 460 has built in technology that means the length of your stride can be varied by changing the amount of pressure you exert on the pedals. It’s easy enough – the more pressure you exert the longer your stride will be while the less pressure you exert the shorter your stride will be. It does take some getting used to but doesn’t take long and soon becomes fairly natural. Not only does it make accommodation for various stride lengths it can be used by anyone weighing up to 300-pounds and it always feels safe, comfortable and stable.
Features and Specifications:
- V-Stride technology, integrated in the cam/footplate, enables strides from 2 to 26 inches
- Independent footplates let users target core muscles while engaging both sides of the body
- 16 total programs: 1 Manual, 11 Profile, 2 Custom for two users
- Quiet, magnetic ECB (Eddy current brake) resistance with 16 levels
- Fly wheel: 25 pounds, steel
- Drive system: Computer controlled
- Fixed and moving handlebars
- Chest strap with telemetric and grip heart rate monitoring
- Heart rate grip on padded static handlebars
- Transport handle and non-skid wheels
- Articulating foot plates minimize heel impact
- Schwinn Advantage workout system tracks results and programming for two users
- Dynamic backlit LCD touchscreen console
- Display Readout: Time, Interval Time, RPM, Watts, Distance, Pulse, Speed, Calories, Resistance Level, Course Profile
- 11 workout profiles contain embedded fitness prompts to maximize results
- Oversized water bottle holder and angle-adjustable fan
- Maximum user weight: 300 pounds
- Dimensions: 54 x 34 x 73 inches (L x W x H)
- Unit weight: 221 pounds
- Power requirements: AC adapter
The machine is a little taller than the Schwinn 430 which may make it a little difficult to get on and off for shorter people (those under 5 foot) but it’s still easy enough. The machine has 3 hand settings and the stationary handlebars come with heart rate monitors and there is also a strap on chest heart rate monitor which tends to be more accurate that those on the handlebars.
The backlit monitor is a great feature that should not be overlooked. If you have read anything about the Schwinn 430 Elliptical Trainer you will know it’s monitor is not backlit and therefore makes it a little difficult to read at times. The monitor on this model is clear and easy to read. So you can work out at night if you feel so inclined.
Out Of The Box
The Schwinn 460 Variable Stride Elliptical Trainer will come with all the prepackaged hardware that you are going to need to assemble the machine. It does take some time to unpack, 20-30 minutes, and around 1.5 – 2 hours to assemble. Some extra parts will also be included along with an assembly guide, which is pretty easy to follow, and it is good to have another pair of hands on the job to make it safer and easier to do some of the assembly. I would recommend unpacking everything, making sure to double check through all the packaging material to make sure haven’t missed anything, and then moving the parts, piece by piece to where you want to assemble and eventually use the machine. Even though it does come fitted with small wheels for moving the machine around, at 221-pounds, you are not going to be wanting to do so very often.
Good idea too to have your own tool box handy and please don’t use any powered tools, like screwdrivers or wrenches, to tighten any parts as the high torque may damage or strip threads and bolt heads.
Some Key Features You May Want To Know About
The Schwinn 460 Variable Stride Elliptical Trainer is solidly built from a high grade steel with a matte grey finish. Overall it is a little larger than the 430 model. It has a smooth, quiet operation and you can watch TV while using it if you wish… at a normal volume level.
Handles are very comfortable, ergonomic – that is they encourage healthy, natural and safe action when in use. They are rubber/foam coated for additional comfort.
When in use the default level is 3 which is a good place to start. Like all the Schwinn Elliptical Trainers it has a forward and reverse mode. All functions such as stair stepping, walking and running feel comfortable and stable. There are 16 different resistance levels.
A High Intensity Interval Training (HITT) is great for efficient burning of calories. This can easily be achieved on this machine and was probably designed with this goal in mind. You can customize your profile settings to simulate almost any terrain or course you can imagine. This helps to mix up your workout for high and low resistance training.
And like most models available now it comes with a fan to help keep you cool and comfortable during your workouts.
Does It Include A Warranty?
Yes, the warranty is extensive. The frame -10 years, parts -2 years, electronics -1 year, wear parts -90 days. So you fully expect years of faithful service from this machine if used and maintained correctly.
What Are Others Saying?
- “Overall I am very happy with this elliptical and consider it to be just as effective as the $4000 elliptical at my health club. I am 6′ 1″ and my girlfriend is 5′ 4″ and we both felt very comfortable with the feel of the machine.”
- “This product is everything they said it would be ! Very satisfied with both the sturdiness and smoothness of movement. The small footprint makes it extremely convenient for our small condo. Delivery was exactly on time. Would highly recommend this product and Amazon to any one.”
- “We bought this machine to replace a treadmill that cost us $1200 a decade ago. While that treadmill certainly was a good investment in terms of health and fitness, this machine seems an even better investment, because it can provide what a treadmill does (and much more), allowing one to move at a walking, stepping, or jogging pace without wear and tear on the joints. My husband has some problems with his feet, and we expect this machine to be less aggravating to those issues than the treadmill was. This is a really good quality machine for the price, sturdy and very well designed.”
- “After much research, I decided to go with the Schwinn 460 and I’ve been really happy with it. It showed up quickly and sooner than expected. It was easy for me to put together myself with a little help from my 1yr old (he liked stacking the screws and nuts).”
- “It is quiet, compact and easy for my husband (6’1″, 240lb) and myself to use (5’4″, 140 lbs) without any manual adjustments. I love that it has the variable stride to accommodate both of us. The fan was a nice touch too.”
- “I fell in love with a Procore eliptical at my local gym. I researched it online and found that it was $8,000! I wanted something more economical for my home with the same design as the Procore. I found the Schwinn and 2 others, but this one had the best reviews. I took the leap and bought it and I am very pleased!!”
Are There Any Complaints?
After doing a considerable amount of research was not really able to find any complaints of substance on the Schwinn 460 Variable Stride Elliptical Trainer. One user was not totally satisfied with the level of resistance the machine offered and felt as a consequence the workout they got was not as intense as it could have been. Other users responded to this and commented that the purpose of the machine was to have a full body workout, with a focus on achieving and maintaining a specific cardiovascular workout and it does help you hit and maintain the heart rate of 75-80%. Other users found the resistance to their satisfaction.
Where can you buy the Schwinn 460 Variable Stride Elliptical training machine?
You can buy this Schwinn training machine from Amazon. At the moment they do include FREE shipping and from what research I have done on prices online Amazon do have the best deal especially with the FREE shipping option. Click here to view on Amazon.
Where can you read more Reviews for the Schwinn 460 Variable Stride Elliptical Trainer?
The best place to read more reviews from people who have actually bought and use the product is Amazon. Click here to read more.Buy Now